The Florida Department of Health in Hamilton County conducts surveillance and investigation for many diseases. Surveillance includes investigating, intervening, monitoring, and reporting of reportable diseases. We also conduct studies to assess health risks associated with newly emerging infectious agents and other public health concerns. Our Epidemiology staff provides education for the public, physicians, hospitals, day care centers, nursing homes, schools, veterinarians, animal services, and other institutions.
Our Goal is to Find Out:
- who is sick and when they got sick
- what symptoms are present
- where the illness could have come from
What we learn helps us prevent other people from getting sick.
Infectious Diseases We Investigate:
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Communicable Disease Reporting