Tobacco Free Hamilton
Tobacco addiction is among the leading preventable causes of morbidity and mortality in Florida and in the United States. Cigarette use, alone, results in an estimated 430,000 deaths each year in the US, including 28,700 deaths in Florida.
Tobacco use is the single largest cause of preventable premature death in the United States. The list of illnesses caused by tobacco use is long and contains many of the most common causes of death, including heart disease, stroke, many forms of cancer and lung, and vascular diseases. The tobacco industry spends close to $1 billion in Florida annually to market its products.
Time to Quit?
Quitting smoking is important for your health and provides many benefits. Soon after you quit, your circulation begins to improve, and your blood pressure returns to normal. Your sense of smell and taste return and breathing starts to become easier. In the long term, giving up tobacco can help you live longer. Your risk of developing cancer decreases with each year that you stay smoke-free. One resource available to anyone in Florida is the Toll-Free Tobacco Quitline (1-877-U-CAN-NOW):
- Toll-free telephone-based counseling for quitting tobacco (cigarettes or smokeless) available to adults and youth age 13 and up.
- Available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 363 days of the year.
- 5 pro-active counseling sessions by phone (8 for pregnant women).
- Education and assistance with nicotine replacement therapy such as gum, patches, and lozenges.
- Counseling and materials in English and Spanish; translation services for other languages, and TDD service for the hearing impaired.
- Any person living in Florida that is ready to make a quit attempt can use the Quitline.
- All services are free!
- Call 1-877-U-CAN-NOW (1-877-822-6669)